Sandalwood cologne and perfume are among our bestsellers. The ingredient provides depth and punch to virtually any fragrance, not to mention some serious exoticism. Many of Copycat Fragrances’ scents feature sandalwood as a base note – but what exactly is this ingredient and why is it so desirable?
Sandalwood fragrance – a brief history
Sandalwood is a type of aromatic wood that, unlike many other similar plants, retains its scents for decades. As you can imagine, that’s highly sought-after by perfume-makers, as it means a lot of longevity.
For centuries, it’s been prized by numerous cultures, and used in ritual and religious ceremony. For example, Hindus use it to worship Shiva, and in the Sufi faith, sandalwood paste is marked on a Sufi’s grave as a mark of devotion.
It’s also been an important aspect of perfume-crafting throughout history. Sandalwood fragrance is part of the ‘floriental’ family, along with ylang ylang, jasmine, orange blossom, tuberose, plumeria and others.
Part of its charm is its versatility. It lends itself well to delicate, invigorating fragrances, and to rich, deep ones too.
How is sandalwood aftershave made?
Firstly, chips and billets are harvested from the sandalwood tree. Then, these tiny pieces are steamed, which causes them to release a sticky liquid. This is then gathered as pure, essential sandalwood oil.
Sandalwood trees are rare, which means that only limited amounts of oil are extracted each year. This pushes prices up, making it not only a desirable ingredient, but an expensive one too! That’s why sandalwood perfume is usually regarded as exclusive.
Sandalwood cologne – the best options
Many of our men’s fragrances have sandalwood as a base note. Here are just a few of the best:
- Viking. Our version of Viking features sandalwood as a base note, alongside vetiver and patchouli. This creates a complex, deep aroma, which is lifted by citrus, rose and a spicy tang of peppercorn. If you’re looking for sandalwood at its most masculine, this is definitely the fragrance for you.
- Noir Extreme. Sandalwood is also excellent for sultry, sensual scents. Our homage to Noir Extreme is very wood-based, though it’s unmistakably a ‘sandalwood cologne’. There are also lots of Far Eastern-inspired ingredients in this perfume, which makes it ideal for wearing during the evening.
- Millesime Imperial. Millesime Imperial is a perfect example of how sandalwood can be used in ‘daytime’ fragrances too. Our version of this timeless classic (which was originally designed to be worn by the French monarchy) features fresh iris and marine accord, which completely transforms the effect of the woody base notes. If you’re seeking something with a bit of gravitas, this is perfect.
If you’re looking for the lowdown on what sandalwood aftershave should smell like; it’ll basically feature hints of warm wood, which is somehow creamy and smooth. This isn’t a sharp woody smell like pine, but much softer and richer.
Sandalwood perfume – which one to choose?
Sandalwood fragrance isn’t defined by gender – it works in both masculine and feminine scents. Here are just a few of the best female options.
- Aventus for Her. Our version of Aventus for Her is the perfect example of how a feminine sandalwood perfume should be. It’s powerful, punchy, but also alluring. The wood notes are complemented by bergamot, amber and other fruits, and is ideal as a ‘day to night’ option.
- Black Orchid. Black Orchid is another example of a great sandalwood-based scent. It’s rich and exotic, with notes of jasmine, spice, ylang ylang and chocolate – talk about decadent! As such, it’s the perfect choice for an evening out.
Wood-based fragrances also tend to be long-lasting, with the sandalwood (or cedar) coming to the foreground much later in the day. This means they’re great for people who want to apply the scent in the morning, then still catch a subtle hint of it, hours later. Its versatility also makes it suitable for work-wear or going out.
To explore our range of perfumes and aftershaves featuring sandalwood, simply visit the Copycat Fragranecs website today. If you’re not sure which scent to select, remember that we also do sample sizes, which provide the perfect way to test out the fragrance without committing to buy a full-sized bottle. Our sample packs (for men and women) offer an even more reasonably priced way to try before you buy a larger size.
Disclaimer: all products mentioned above, along with their labelling, are a guide and should not be confused with the actual fragrance brand. Any name trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective designers or makers. Please note, these perfumes and candles are not to be confused with the originals, and we have no affiliation with any companies mentioned. Our interpretations of the fragrances and candles were created through chemical analysis and personal development, and their description is solely to give the customer an idea of the nature of the scent. It is not designed to mislead or confuse the customer in any way, and does not infringe on the manufacturer's or designer's name or trademark.