Allow us to introduce you to one of the world’s best loved perfume ingredients – dipteryx odorata. But don’t let the name panic you. This is no exotic dinosaur, but the official name of the humble tonka bean.
Tonka bean perfume has been around for centuries. However, it’s one of those ingredients that not many people have heard of. With that in mind, here’s some information about what it is, and why tonka bean in perfume works so well.
Tonka bean fragrance – what is it?
Tonka beans come from a tree. In appearance, they look a bit like wrinkled raisins. But it’s not the whole bean that’s of interest to perfume-makers. In fact, it’s a substance inside called coumarin. This is what’s responsible for the wonderful scent.
The most important question of all is – what does tonka bean smell like? Well, it’s sometimes used as a vanilla substitute, which provides a good idea of the sort of aroma it has. However, it’s slightly spicier than vanilla, with hints of cinnamon and almond, not to mention a vague tang that’s a bit like cherry.
It’s a rich, deep scent, which is why tonka bean fragrance oil is so often used as a base note in perfumes. It not only brings the other ingredients together; it also becomes more noticeable as time goes one, which is particularly useful if you’re looking for a day-to-night fragrance.
Tonka bean works well with a variety of different ingredients. For example, it’s often paired with:
- Oud oil – which adds intensity and a touch of exoticism
- Fruity aromas – the tonka bean adds sweetness and gives the fragrance more dimension
- Smoky scents – tonka bean complements smoky ingredients, softening them nicely
Which tonka bean perfume is right for you?
Many perfumes feature tonka bean as a key base note. If you’re looking for a tonka bean scent that epitomises everything there is to love about this unique aroma, here are a few suggestions:
- Tobacco Vanille. Don’t let the name of this fragrance fool you. Our version of Tobacco Vanille features smoky tobacco flower, which is rounded off perfectly with the inclusion of vanilla, and of course, tonka bean. It’s a very intense masculine scent – ideal for creating a sense of authority at work.
- Coco Mademoiselle. Our homage to this iconic fragrance features strong notes of tonka bean, but the top notes of orange and lemon make this far livelier and fresher. This is the perfect choice for a day out with friends, or for wearing in the office.
- Oud Wood. If you’re looking for something more potent and sensual, this version of Oud Wood is an excellent option. The tonka bean scent is immediately distinguishable, but the key ingredient here is oud oil, which is decadent and quite arousing. Put simply, if you’re about to go out on a date, this is the fragrance to go for.
You might be wondering whether or not tonka bean is the right sort of scent for you. There’s only so far we can go in explaining it – the best idea is to sample some fragrances for yourself!
Copycat Fragrances have a range of perfumes and colognes that are inspired by designer versions, and we also have sample sizes of all of them. Each 5ml sample bottle contains enough applications to put it to the test several times – which is really handy when you want to road-test the tonka bean-based scents thoroughly.
To find out more, just visit our website.
Disclaimer: all products mentioned above, along with their labelling, are a guide and should not be confused with the actual fragrance brand. Any name trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective designers or makers. Please note, these perfumes and candles are not to be confused with the originals, and we have no affiliation with any companies mentioned. Our interpretations of the fragrances and candles were created through chemical analysis and personal development, and their description is solely to give the customer an idea of the nature of the scent. It is not designed to mislead or confuse the customer in any way, and does not infringe on the manufacturer's or designer's name or trademark.